You might be wondering what you can make with your overripe bananas instead of banana bread, right?? Well this Banana Streusel Snack Cake does not disappoint. The cake is packed with banana flavor, laced with cinnamon streusel and then topped with a maple bourbon cream cheese frosting. Yes you heard me right – Maple Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting. If you don’t have bourbon or don’t like alcohol, you can leave it out. The hint of the bourbon is seriously the best with the cinnamon and banana – this cake is addicting.
The streusel is a key part of the recipe because it adds texture, flavor, and a surprise layer when you cut open the cake. It has chopped pecans, but it would also taste great if you had almonds. I like to use ¾ of the streusel and sprinkle it in the middle of the cake batter and lightly sprinkle the remainder on the edges/top of the cake batter before it goes into the oven for those crunchy streusel pieces on top!
This Banana Streusel Snack Cake is not complete without the creamy maple bourbon frosting. On its own it tastes bourbon forward, but when its eaten with the cake the bourbon and maple accompany the banana and cinnamon perfectly. It’s a yummy cake to snack on throughout the day! I’ll admit, I’ve had some for breakfast, lunch, pre-dinner snack, and dessert (it’s that good!).
Banana Streusel Snack Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup mashed bananas (2-3 overripe bananas)
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk (or 1 ½ cup milk with 1 tsp white vinegar mixed)
- 6 tbsp butter, cubed and cold
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- First make the streusel by mashing the cubed butter, all purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl by using a fork or your fingers until pea sized clumps are formed. Add in the chopped pecans, stir and place in the refrigerator.
- For the cake, stir together the all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt to a medium sized bowl. Measure out the buttermilk or milk/vinegar in a small bowl (save for later).
- In a separate large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the sugar and butter until creamed (about 3 minutes). Beat in the eggs one at a time and vanilla extract. Mix on high until light and fluffy. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the milk. Mix until just combined.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas and gently fold into the cake batter and pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with ¾ of the streusel and top with remainder of the cake batter. Lightly sprinkle the remaining streusel on the edges and top of the cake. Place into the oven, reduce oven to 300°F and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by whipping together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla, powdered sugar, bourbon and maple syrup and whip until combined. Top the cake once cooled and enjoy!!
I absolutely love this recipe and hope you do too! If you try this Banana Streusel Snack Cake, please comment below what you think and tag me on instragram @theladlebearer.
2 thoughts on “Banana Streusel Snack Cake”
Such delicious looking dessert, and thanks for sharing it.
This one looks delicious!!!! 🙂