I’m obsessed with pumpkin especially when fall hits because what isn’t more appropriate then a pumpkin goodie. If you’ve checked out my Pumpkin Maple Cinnamon Rolls then you’ll love these Pumpkin Cinnamon Twists! They’re great for breakfast, but honestly I could snack on these throughout the day and have one for dessert.
These twists are packed with pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and Bonne Maman’s Pumpkin Spread which I found for the first time this year and I’m HOOKED. The consistency is rich, silky, and has the perfect pumpkin flavor. Spread a thin layer of this on your dough and sprinkle some extra cinnamon sugar on top and that’s the filling! Super simple, packed with flavor and did I mention the gorgeous pumpkin twist on the outside?
To top it off (literally) sprinkle turbinado sugar and cinnamon on top to add a little crunch and give your twists that bakery quality everyone craves. If you don’t have turbinado sugar – don’t worry, just combine a few tablespoons of softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to form a crumble and add that on top.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Twists
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pack dry active yeast
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice OR
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- ¾ jar of 13oz Bonne Maman Pumpkin Spice Spread
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1 cup powedered sugar
- 2 tbsp softened room temperature cream cheese
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp milk (add a tbsp at a time for desired consistency)
- In a saucepan, warm the milk, oil and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a large bowl and sprinkle the packet of yeast over top. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Mix in the pumpkin puree.
- Mix together 4 1/4 cups of flour and pumpkin pie spice (if you don’t have it, use the cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg). Stir the dry ingredients with the wet, cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm area for 1 hour.
- After the hour, the dough should have doubled in size. Now stir in the additional 1/2 cup flour with the baking soda, powder, and salt until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface about 1/2 inch thick and into a rectangle. Take your softened butter and evenly spread over the dough. Spoon ¾ of the Pumpkin Spice Spread Jar over the smeared butter and evenly spread. (It may look thin or skimpy, but don’t over fill because it will be a huge mess when you twist the dough).
- Fold the dough in half on top of one another and cut 1 ½ inch strips. Carefully take a strip and twist. Take one end of the strip, circle it around the other end to cause a wheel or twist and place on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center is not squishy.
- While the twists are in the oven, mix the powdered sugar, cream cheese, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp of milk together. If too thick, add a tbsp of milk until you get the desired consistency and top your twists when they’re warm.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on instagram if you bake up these Pumpkin Cinnamon Twists!