Making homemade pizza is fast and you can top it with anything you want! I have “pizza Friday” in my house almost every Friday and I make them the majority of the time, its pretty easy. (I admit we order pizza out occasionally because there is a Brick Oven Pizzeria less than 15 minutes away that I LOVE), but we all indulge in something – mines pizza!
I decided to play with the flours and used whole wheat flour and it turned out fine, but if you don’t have whole wheat than you can use all purpose flour. Also, if you don’t like spicy things, omit the red chili flakes and add a tbsp of black pepper instead.
Diavolo Whole Wheat Pizza
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp hot Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 5 basil leaves chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast, salt, garlic powder, and paprika in a bowl. Make sure to keep the salt separate from the yeast until mixed together because salt retards yeast.
- Mix 3/4 cup warm water into the flour mixture until everything comes together. If needed, sprinkle more flour into the bowl until a ball is formed. I add a little bit less than an 1/8 cup more of whole wheat flour until nothing was sticking to the sides of the bowl. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Take the ball of dough out of the bowl and wipe the inside of the bowl with olive oil. Put the dough back into the bowl and roll in the olive oil.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place covered for about 25-30 minutes or until dough has doubled.
- Preheat oven at 425 F with the pizza pan in the oven.
- While the dough is rising, blister the tomatoes by putting the cherry tomatoes in a hot pan with a tsp of olive oil and salt. Stir occasionally for 20 minutes until blistered.
- When the dough has risen, knead it on a floured surface and roll out into the desired shape and thickness. I add a handful of cornmeal to the surface before I start rolling out the dough to add a crispier bottom.
- Once rolled out, put a piece of parchment paper on the hot pizza pan and lay the rolled out dough on the paper. Put into the oven for 12 minutes.
- While the dough is in the oven, mix together the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and red chili flakes together.
- Take the pizza dough out, spread all of the cheese mixture on top and add the blistered tomatoes. Put back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
- After the pizza is done, top it with the chopped basil and enjoy!
I’d love to hear what you think of this pizza in the comments below! OR if you make this recipe, tag me on social media so I can see!