During this quarantine I’ve been basically wanting chocolate chip cookies everyday and the kitchen is starting to look like a liquor store so I why not combine chocolate chip cookies with booze! Bourbon to be exact…
These cookies are probably the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made. They’re chewy, addicting, and have a touch of the “caramelly” bourbon flavor. The dried cherries add a relief from the rich chewy cookie and aren’t a mandatory ingredient, but I highly recommend them. One more step with these cookies is the chilling process. If you’re impatient like me than throwing the dough in the freezer is good enough, but for the best results leave the dough in the fridge overnight.
Bourbon Brown Butter Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp of bourbon (I used Jim Beam Black Barrel)
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mini bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cherries
- Brown the butter Put the 2 sticks of butter in a deep sided pan* (I’ll explain later) and turn on medium heat. Let the butter melt and start whisking when it starts to form little bubbles and foam. Whisk for about 10 minutes or until the butter starts turning light brown and turn off the heat. Carefully add the bourbon – it will bubble up vigorously which is why a deep pan is important and stir. Immediately pour the butter bourbon into a dish and let it cool (I put it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to make the process faster).
- While the butter is cooling, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium sixed bowl use a hand mixer to mix the sugars and butter bourbon together for a minute or two. It will look really buttery, but that’s normal. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla and yogurt and mix until incorporated. Mix in the flour until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Chill the dough It’s really important to chill the dough to have a thick chewy cookie. You can put the dough in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight OR if you’re really wanting cookies asap you can put the dough in the freezer for 1.5 hrs minimum.
- Bake Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. When you take the chilled dough out, use a spoon and scope two tbsp to roll the dough into a ball. If the dough is too hard to scoop out, let it sit on your counter for 5 minutes and then scoop! Bake the cookie dough balls for 10-12 minutes, enjoy!!
* I use a cast iron pan whenever I make these to give you a reference.
If you make these cookies or any other recipe of mine, please tag me on social media. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!