Once spring rolls around and the days get sunnier and warmer, I want to break out of the winter hibernation and use everything citrus! So behold I baked up this Orange Blueberry Pound Cake which would also be a great Easter dessert or even to take over for a cookout once it gets into summer and this Coronavirus quarantine is up!
This recipe is straight forward and easy so even if you’re not a confident baker – this ones for you!
Orange Blueberry Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest 1 orange
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pint blueberries, save a few to top
Zesty Orange Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Add vanilla extract and orange zest, mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. In the empty bowl you had your dry ingredients in, add the blueberries and sprinkle with pinch full of flour. Toss to lightly coat each berry. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Pour and level the batter into the greased loaf pan. Top with remaining blueberries and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Mix until combined.
- When the pound cake is done baking, remove from the oven and let cool before topping with the glaze. Enjoy!
Feel free to decorate with any leftover blueberries!